Welcome to our blog!! Thanks for checking out our journey with 7 crazy kids, including one named Spencer who has achondroplasia, the most commom form of dwarfism. Here you'll find my personal ramblings on raising a child with a physical disability, thoughts on motherhood and faith.



Join us in the chaos if you dare.....


**You can also follow me on my money saving blog-Nine on a Nickel. Join in the money saving fun at www.nineonanickel.blogspot.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nineonanickel

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The grass is always greener on the other side....

There are days when this stay at home mom dreams of being a career girl. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, love my life, yada, yada, yada. But after a day of wiping butts, whining kids and spit up stained clothes, a girl starts to fantasize. I think what it would be like to get up in the morning and get ready to go to "the office." It even sounds cool. I'd put on my tailored power suit, pumps, jewelry, the whole bit. I'd drop the kids off, turn off Veggie Tales and put on some jamming tunes as I cruised into Starbucks for a Giant-Grande-Mocha-Frappe-Latte or whatever it is that they charge a pretty penny for. I'd pull up to work in my fancy car and strut into my comfy office building and do....stuff. I don't know what kind of stuff I'd do, but it wouldn't have anything to do with poop, that's a fact jack. I'd eat lunch out at a place that didn't sell Happy Meals and I'd even pick up take out for dinner. Man, that'd be the life! Or would it?

Now you see, for every stay at home mom like me dreaming about "the other side", there's a mom sitting in an office wishing for what I've got. She'd give her right arm to trade in her Italian pumps for Nikes and the power suit for sweats. A Happy Meal with her kid would beat that overpriced gourmet stuff any day. She'd trade in her perfume for the smell of spit up.

I think we all sometimes fall into the trap of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. We stay at home moms can especially get worn down when the other life seems so glam. So what that getting dressed up means waiting for the rare date with my hubby or that the only time I hit a Starbucks is well, never. I'm going to slip out of my imaginary Italian shoes and stick my feet in the grass, on MY side of the fence and realize that it feels pretty good. And you know what? I'll gladly munch on a Happy Meal any day!!!

1 comment:

  1. I so agree...I love being a stay at home mom (can someone tell me who came up with that title...I would love to stay at home!) But sometimes I look at everyone else who goes to work and then comes home...Ah the adult conversations that must happen, the ability to go the bathroom in peace...but then again I would miss the spontaneous cuddle or the mommy I love you...

    ReplyDelete