Welcome to our blog!! Thanks for checking out our journey with 7 crazy kids, including one named Spencer who has achondroplasia, the most commom form of dwarfism. Here you'll find my personal ramblings on raising a child with a physical disability, thoughts on motherhood and faith.



Join us in the chaos if you dare.....


**You can also follow me on my money saving blog-Nine on a Nickel. Join in the money saving fun at www.nineonanickel.blogspot.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nineonanickel

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Remembering my priorities

It's been a long, tough week. So long and tough that I think I could just end the blog post there and go crawl in bed. I watched my grandma pass away this week. Now that was tough. I saw her lying there in a body that didn't look like hers anymore and with a mind that was no longer there. Then a little boy named Connor, that has achondroplasia like Spence, died from complications of the condition. It brought back all those emotions I had when we came so close to losing Spencer. And to top off an emotional week, my sister moved over an hour away from us.

But I'm the type of person that always has to find meaning in it all. For me this week has meant putting my priorities in check...something I am continually having to do. I was reminded again this week that life is short and life is precious. So, I put a lot of things on hold this week to spend time with my family and to try and be there for my parents after losing my grandmother. I held Spence a little tighter and thanked God for allowing him to stay with us. In fact, I held all of the kids a little closer this week. I tried to say "not now" or "maybe later" a little less. So, my "to do" list didn't get done and I played more Monopoly games than another mother should ever have to, but it was probably the closest I've come to having my priorities in check in a long time.

Life is constantly trying to get in the way of what really matters. I know that every day I wake up with choices. Choices about who's going to get my time and energy. Everyday I have to find a balance. Time for the kids, time for me, time to keep the house clean without being too OCD and, of course, balancing all the things other people ask of me without sacrificing family.

I guess basically I'm saying that I'm just a work in progress and that we all probably need to check our priorities from time to time. Whoever said "stop and smell the roses" was probably on to something. So, quit reading this blog and go hug your babies or your hubby or literally go smell the roses. Life is short, might as well make the most of it!

3 comments:

  1. Life is definitely precious! The passing of Connor is so heartbreaking. We have been so fortunate with Caitlyn being so healthy and not having any achon related issues. I can't even begin to imagine what Amanda and Scott are going through. You and your Scott came way to close to losing Spencer, I'm sure the feelings you had came rushing back. It reminds us to thank God everyday for the people and things in out lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are going through. When I lost my grandmother she too lost her life with no dignity. She was so religious and asked nothing of God only to die in her sleep. It seemed like she endured so much suffering first. She was a wonderful lady and it was so hard. She passed the day before 9/11 and I said in her eulogy that God needed her to help him with all the new angels that came to Heaven the next day. I will keep you in my prayers.
    I too found myself playing more cars and trains this weekend. What a tragedy that the Yee family is going through. I know at times we think we'll just do that tomorrow, but we have to live for today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It was so sad to hear about Connor too! It's so true, life is too short and we should enjoy every moment while we have it!

    ReplyDelete