Welcome to our blog!! Thanks for checking out our journey with 7 crazy kids, including one named Spencer who has achondroplasia, the most commom form of dwarfism. Here you'll find my personal ramblings on raising a child with a physical disability, thoughts on motherhood and faith.



Join us in the chaos if you dare.....


**You can also follow me on my money saving blog-Nine on a Nickel. Join in the money saving fun at www.nineonanickel.blogspot.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nineonanickel

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Live Like You Were Dying

Okay, so I didn't have a great title for this blog, so I stole the title of a Tim McGraw song. Have you ever read an obituary and thought to think what yours might say? Now, I know some people don't like to think about things they consider morbid, but a healthy dose of morbidity might just help us really live! (Think of someone who gets a terminal diagnosis of cancer or someone who's just lost a loved one. Death truly puts things in perspective.)

I'm one of those quirky people who actually read the obituary section. It's always bittersweet to read a long, loving obit. Someone so amazing in life that the pain of their death is greater than normal. And then the sad obituaries where there really isn't much to be said. A life wasted, perhaps.

I read a great article one time that included a line that said something to this effect, "I don't want my obituary to read, 'she kept a clean stove.'" It made me laugh, but how true! It really hit home with a Type A/OCD personality like me!

When I kick the bucket, I want to have one humdinger of an obituary. You know something to the effect of, "Granny loved skydiving, made a mean chocolate cake and loved her family more than life itself."

I think we should all take the time to think what would be said of us at our funeral or in our obituary. Will our kids remember us running through the backyard sprinkler with them or were we too busy manicuring our lawns? Will our husband have memories of a wife who made him the best birthday dinners or a lady that was always at a PTA meeting? Will our children remember our smiling faces at their school play or that mom was at the office working late to pay for that shiny, new car?

As long as God gives me breath, I hope I can keep my priorities straight. It's a daily battle for most of us and definitely for me. I want to try to be part of everything I can for those I love. Babies being born, someone taking their last breathe, school plays, soccer games, you name it. May the "busyness" of life never get in the way of the truly important things. If my heart's going to give out may it be from laughing myself to death not stressing myself there.

If we truly live life and ingrain ourselves in the lives of others, we will leave a mark on this world that even death itself cannot erase. I hope I "live like I was dying."

2 comments:

  1. With the loss of my friend last week, I've been thinking a lot about this as well. Of course, I'm still off to PTO tonight, and I forgot to iron my super-mom cape, but I have made a mental note to take more pictures WITH the kids instead of OF the kids, and to make sure that time spent with them is quality, even if sometimes the quantity is limited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so true! I have just recently come to realize, and I mean REALLY realize that I, too, am going to die somday. And that day could be today, tomorrow, next week or maybe far off in years to come. The thought of my children having to go through life without their mom is heart-wrenching, to say the least. Thanks for putting things into perspective a little more for me today!

    ReplyDelete