Welcome to our blog!! Thanks for checking out our journey with 7 crazy kids, including one named Spencer who has achondroplasia, the most commom form of dwarfism. Here you'll find my personal ramblings on raising a child with a physical disability, thoughts on motherhood and faith.



Join us in the chaos if you dare.....


**You can also follow me on my money saving blog-Nine on a Nickel. Join in the money saving fun at www.nineonanickel.blogspot.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nineonanickel

Monday, June 14, 2010

No Rain, No Rainbows



This month marks one year since we were given Spencer's diagnosis. If you would have asked me a year ago where I'd be today, I honestly couldn't have given you an answer. But I know this, I am amazed at how far I've come and that I'm not just okay, I've found an incredible joy throughout this experience. I've matured in ways I could have never imagine, found what's really important in life and learned that life's short (no pun intended.) I've have found a truly spiritual meaning in the saying, "no rain, no rainbows."

I've taken some time to read back over emails I sent around this time a year ago and read the journal I kept in the early weeks. Don't get me wrong it was tough, but even then I had a sense of peace beneath it all.

When I went through my prenatal records and Spencer's birth records, I was angry to find out that his diagnosis was so obvious and yet everyone missed it. I looked for someone to blame and any anger I had was pretty much directed at the medical profession. Over the last year, after hearing the emotional roller coaster so many other families had because they were given the diagnosis prenatally or at birth, has made me realize we were truly given a gift in some ways. By the time we found out about Spencer's condition we had already fallen deeply in love with him and discovered his dwarfism didn't have to define him in a negative way.

The day we were given Spencer's diagnosis though I was up and I was down. I cried and cried some more and that night I didn't sleep much. I got up in the wee hours of the morning and held Spencer. As we sat in our big picture window, the light streamed in and I saw Spence look at me and smile. Yep, still the same old Spence. He was going to be okay and so was I.

Just a few weeks later, we were headed to our first appointment with the Skeletal Dysplasia clinic and ready to get some concrete answers. But we never made it to that appointment. When we arrived at the hospital, we found Spencer lifeless in his carseat. We would later learn he had had a central apnic episode and it nearly took his life. Bam! We were thrown into the not so fun side of dwarfism, the medical complications. Spencer had neurosurgery a few days later and we went through another roller coaster of emotions.

The year went on and so did the rest of our lives. The four other kids were keeping us busy and Spencer's appointments filled in any spare time we had. Somewhere in all of the chaos though I changed. I relaxed, I matured, I loved deeper, I let things go, like unnecessary housework and grudges, I found a confidence in myself like never before and I think I became a better wife, mother, friend, sister, daughter and person.

In all honesty, I don't care Spencer has dwarfism. Really I don't. I feel bad for the struggles and hurts that he'll face in life, but I know I wouldn't be the person I am today without him. And I'm not sure I would have reached the incredible level of joy in my life that I now experience.

I feel like I haven't done justice writing about our experience the last year, but it's hard to describe the changes that have taken place in us, the growth and the peace we have about it all. Bottomline though....no rain, no rainbows.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Bri! Spencer is a complete joy! We also didn't get a diagnosis for Trace until he was ~9 mos, although our pediatrician started suspecting dwarfism at around 5 mos. I am ever so grateful that we got our diagnosis "late", after we already knew and loved Trace and didn't spend the those precious first months of his life freaking out or, even worse, getting an incorrect diagnosis prenatally. When people say "I don't know how you do it", I always say, "When you have to, you just do, and eventually everything falls into place and you realize that you have grown and changed, all for the better." Hugs, and I LOVE the "no rain, no rainbows".

    ReplyDelete
  2. We was diagnosed right after birth. The ped suspected it and the geneticist confirmed it with xrays. I'm with Destini and glad that I never got an incorrect diagnosis prenatally. I'll never forget that first year. What a learning experience. Met so many wonderful people since then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son was misdiagnosed in my 6 month with Thanatophoric Dysplasia (bad spelling), they said he would die at birth. "It's not compatible with life, I'm sorry. I'll give you a moment alone." She said and left me alone in the room, on the table in a paper gown. That was all my spinning head had to go on, were those words.

    For those months we stopped, life stopped. I felt him moving inside of me, and I never wanted him to come out, coming out would mean losing him. Then they said I was in labor too much and they'd take him at 37 weeks. (Because a natural birth would crush his bones). We had a c-section, not knowing what to expect through the eyes of the camcorder. He was Achon instead! We were overjoyed. He would stay with me now! He was beautiful!

    But we did have a lot of shopping to do, we had closed the nursery door two months ago, and didn't go back in. No clothes, no crib, nothing! Family and friends helped us so much!

    Something that was to change my life forever, turned out to be a good thing! I can't imagine life with out him now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its amazing how our lil ones teach us so much that we did not know about ourselves especially when faced with challenges. I can relate to your story as when our daughter Mavis was born with epidermolysis bullosa it was rough on us and I could not belive how our lives would change. Its was a rough first year but shes almost 5 and doing wonderful. I never thought how much she would teach so many around her as shes such a bright wonderful little girl.

    I bet Spencer is just the same for your family. We certainly are blessed more than most people know!!

    We cannot wait to go get Kullen as I am sure you will be a huge help to us as we have missed so much of his life already! We want to be able to take the best care of him and will needs lots of advice from those parents that have already been there as we will soon be experts where dwarfism is concerned.

    ReplyDelete