Welcome to our blog!! Thanks for checking out our journey with 7 crazy kids, including one named Spencer who has achondroplasia, the most commom form of dwarfism. Here you'll find my personal ramblings on raising a child with a physical disability, thoughts on motherhood and faith.



Join us in the chaos if you dare.....


**You can also follow me on my money saving blog-Nine on a Nickel. Join in the money saving fun at www.nineonanickel.blogspot.com and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nineonanickel

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cowboy boots, strut what ya got...

Letting your kids be who they are can be tough, especially when it's the polar opposite of who you are. I'll be the first to admit that this is a challenge for me. The first time I remember really giving in was when the twins were about two. They had gotten cowboy boots as a birthday gift and they were in LOVE. Well, let's just say I'm not a cowboy boots kind of girl. I'm more the high heels type, if you know what I mean. I vividly remember how much I hated those boots!! But the first time I gave in and let them wear them out somewhere was a life changer. Watching them strut around in those boots with their little girlie dress no less, melted my heart!

And with five kids God is constantly finding new was to stretch me in this area. Take my nine year old for instance who loves his 30+ stuffed animals. He is seriously pushing my anti-clutter buttons-hard!! Then there's the girls who love garage sale knicknacks. A gene they definitely did not get from me. Last, but not least is Jordan. My beautiful, baby girl who loves to dress like Punky Brewster (remember the old tv show?) A typical Jordan ensemble might be a crazy printed dress, mismatched striped tights that clash, of course with her ladybug mud boots, topped off with about 10 pieces of jewelry and her orange hat. I've learned to shrug off the funny looks at the grocery store. I know they are wondering if I was the one who dressed her like that.

As different as they are though, I'm also reminded of the pieces of me they have in them, too. I catch Jake with his nose in a book and smile knowing I'd be doing the same thing if I could. Genna who loves everything organized, yep me again! Grace who cries along with me watching sappy movies or listening to tender songs. Then there's Spencer who would eat all day if he could-definitely inherited from me!! My kids are a mix of old and new and I wouldn't have it any other way! I've realized that God made them each unique in so many ways and I'm not about to be the one to put out the fire!

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm the cowboy boots and old blue jeans kinda girl, and my Taylor is into the frilly dresses and high heels! I've come around a little, and sometimes she'll wear some cowboy boots with her dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! I too am a high heels type of gal. The way you talk about your kids is beautiful. And I meant to comment on the Spencer post-operation blog post. I am so happy to hear that the surgery was a success. I know it was so scary for you guys, but what a trooper you have! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm right in the mix with this post! I have two Punky Brewster's living in my house that love to collect stuffed animals and I am an over the top organized gotta match everything kind of mom! I just caught up on blogs as we were at the hospital for awhile ourselves. I am so glad to hear that Spencer's decompression surgery went very well! I can only imagine the high stress and fear of it all! Great job being a fantastic advocate for Spencer and learning all that you did! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - so sweet! My hubby and I are often saying "where did he learn/get that from" and then the next minute saying "that is so you" about Simon! Like you said - love the mix of the old and the new!

    ReplyDelete